Three of my Aunts just had babies and I will be able to go and visit them soon! I wanted to give them something but they have all had other kids and other girls so I’m sure they have everything, with the exception of more diapers! If I have time to get to the store they will get some of those, but in the mean time I made a cloth high chair for each of them. You can find the cloth high chair that I got the idea from here.
I made some cloth high chairs for my baby’s grandmas at Christmas time, and we all have decided that a plastic space saver high chair would be a better option to keep at their houses, especially as the baby began to self-feed. You can see my original plans here and my first cloth high chair here. My mom was able to replace her cloth chair with a real one, so I have been able to use the other one quite a bit when we go places. If you need a tray it works well with a pillow or phone book under the cloth high chair, and then push them up to the table (Although I would definitely never leave their side when they are like that!). You will enjoy the fact that you can eat next to them in peace!
I had to take pictures of an actual baby in the high chair because I never did that the first time! He was very wiggly and was trying to get out, but wasn’t able to. It just goes to show that it does work, and most the time he isn’t trying to get out because he’s happy to be eating!
I found this cute idea for a shortall
. It’s by Heather of Feather’s Flights
and she made a great tutorial and pattern. Check her’s out here
. I had some ideas of how I wanted to change it, so here’s what I did.
I didn’t use her pattern, although I’m sure it would be easier (I haven’t had ink in my printer for quite awhile now, it would have been easier but at least it makes me think creatively!). I used one the baby already had and traced it onto tissue paper. I made sure to add quite a bit of space on each side, because I wanted him to have room to grow and for my seam allowance. I also was planning on making a tank top, so there was extra space on the sides of the neck.
The onsie I was copying didn’t have the extra piece that Heather had on hers, it was just the front and the back pieces, the same shape. After cutting out the pattern I pinned it to the front of the t-shirt and cut it out of the shirt.
Next I cut the neckline and just cut a little bit off of each side and then pin it back together and sew it.
The sides also need to be sewn, put the two pieces with outsides facing in together, then pin and sew the sides, starting under the arm hole.
The next thing is to hem the legs and arm holes. I did just a single fold under and stitched it.
Next it is time to figure out the snaps. I used snap tape and sewed it on by first pinning one side to the bottom, but with both outsides facing in. I stitched one side and then turned it over so insides were both inside and stitched it closed. For the bottom snaps I pinned them outsides facing in and just stitched it once. Now when they snap the tape isn’t very visible.